In order to avoid a climate change catastrophe, we need to dramatically reduce CO2 emissions worldwide. This gives us three basic tasks:
1) Phase out fossil-fueled power plants.
2) Phase out gasoline- and diesel-fueled cars and trucks.
3) Phase out diesel-powered container ships.
The good news is that all of these tasks can be accomplished, if we set our minds to it. Here’s how:
1) Complete the development of the safe and affordable Fast Spectrum Molten Salt Reactor (FS-MSR), also known as the Molten Salt Fast Reactor (MSFR), and deploy them in place of fossil-fueled power plants.
Here is an excellent and very recent detailed evaluation of the MSFR and its advantages:
FS-MSRs use molten salt coolant at a temperature that happens to be useful to supply the heat for Solid State Ammonia Synthesizer (SSAS) units. FS-MSRs can be fitted with these units to synthesize ammonia in a carbon-free process.
2) Replace or refit cars and trucks with ammonia-powered engines. Ammonia filling stations will provide the vehicles with ammonia produced by carbon-free solid state synthesis.
3) Replace container ship diesel engines with safe advanced nuclear engines.